After much thought, I have decided that my wife, if she could, would probably, after a lot of discussion between us, forgive me for going ahead with a plan for a gathering of her friends and members of her family, in spite of her expressed desire that no great fuss be made. But I know that Patty and I were of like mind when it came to caring for the well being of our family and friends and I understand the importance to friends and family of saying goodbye to your loved ones. So, we came to the conclusion that we are going to have to make a fuss, a ‘party’ if you will, to allow people to demonstrate their love and respect for the life you led. Let’s make it a good one!
I have also consulted with my three sons and we have decided to host the ‘gathering of Patty’s family and friends’ with the purpose of celebrating her life.
Here is the status of our planning thus far:
- In order to give people plenty of advance notification of the event, we plan to set a date that is about six months from now. We will set the date ASAP.
- We need to have an estimate of how many may attend as we want to choose an appropriate place to hold the event. We do not want to overlook anyone and you can help us by telling us who in your circle may want to attend. It probably will be held indoors. I am considering the facility at the City of Lakewood Civic Center.
- We will serve a buffet lunch.
- We want to plan a program which allows plenty of time for people to share their experiences knowing Patty. She was a ‘one-of-a-kind’ person and the program will reflect that.
- We are planning for the showing of images of her life as recorded by the cameras wielded by family and friends. I hope this ‘slide show’ will serve as a reminder of your ‘Patty experiences’ and will prompt you to share these with those attending. We encourage you to share in advance with us any images which we may want to include in the show. It is my hope that by gathering together and sharing our experiences as members of her family or as one of her many friends, we will become better able to accept her sudden passing from our lives. I know how difficult this can be but it is important for those she loved so much to do so.
- We welcome any suggestions you may want to offer us as we go forward.with our planning.